Arms Deal: EFCC Reveals Why Jonathan Has Not Been Arrested

share on:
nnpc

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) acting Chairman, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has divulged why the immediate past President Goodluck Jonathan has not been apprehended in connection with the $2.1 billion misappropriated by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) when he was the president.

Jonathan, Arms DealSpeaking to online publishers in Lagos on Monday, January 11, Magu said the former president had not been summoned by the commission because no document had been traced to him giving approval for the disbursement of the money for any purpose other than for the purchase of arms, reported online news website, The Eagle Online.

Magu said: “All approvals by former President Jonathan did not mention that it was for political purposes. All the memos approved by him was for the purchase of arms.”

Magu made this disclosure known following reactions over why Jonathan, who is believed to be the principal actor in the unfolding scenario, has not been arrested or summoned for questioning.

READ ALSO: “I’d Rather Starve Than Refund The N400m” Metuh To EFCC

Meanwhile, detectives of the EFCC have been unable to recover the N400 million traced to a company owned by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) spokesman Olisa Metuh, as he (Metuh) has vowed to rather go on hunger strike than refund the money.

According to The Nation, Mr Metuh told the anti-graft agency that he would rather go on hunger strike than refund the money, which is believed to be part of the $2.1 billion arms cash allegedly diverted at the Office National Security Adviser (ONSA).

Mr Metuh’s statement was made known by the EFCC chairman, in Lagos on Monday, January 11, while speaking to online reporters.

Magu, who stressed that the war against corruption had just begun, vowed to bring corrupt elements to justice, explaining that the looting of the nation’s treasury “is mind boggling”.

READ ALSO: #DasukiGate: Beneficiaries And How Much They Reportedly Collected [List]

He averred that former Military Administrator of Kaduna State Brig.-Gen.Jafaru Isa had refunded N100 million of the N160million he collected from the ONSA.

READ ALSO: Return The Money Or Face Trial – EFCC Goes Hard On Arms Deal Beneficiaries

The ex-governorship candidate of the Congress of Progressvies Change (CPC), who was arrested and released after being quizzed, he added, had undertaken to refund the balance.

Datboyjerry

Datboyjerry

I am but your herald boy in the art of the pen.. An eccentric Environmental Biologist smouldered in the glorious epiphany of online journalism. If you ever find my article unduly insipid, sue me and i’ll refund you...

Leave a Reply