This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Malam Garba Shehu.
Giving a clarification on the pronouncement of the President on the issue during last Wednesday’s Presidential Media Chat, Shehu said that the speculations were unfounded.
Recall Buhari had said: ”When I say Boko Haram had been defeated technically, we have weakened capacity for conventional attacks. Banning hijab is not an option, but if these attacks continues, hijab has to be banned.”
He said that the Buhari-led Federal Government would always respect the rights of Muslims to protect their modesty and allow religious freedom.
He however said that the Hijab was being abused by terrorists to carry out suicide attacks on innocent people, which violated the teachings of Islam.
Shehu also said that Buhari would not take any decision on the issue without due consultation with all the stakeholders.
Parts of the statement read: “Everything will be done to balance national security requirements with the rights and obligations of citizens under their religions as protected by the constitution.”