The Nigerian Senate has never been so controversial. Two weeks after proposing a bill to gag Nigerians on social media, the Senate has allegedly made plans to buy luxury cars for its members.
The report published by Premium Times said the Senate has earmarked ₦4.7 Billion for buying various brands of exotic vehicles for its President, Bukola Saraki, and the 108 other senators.
These vehicles include,
- 120 units of Toyota Land Cruiser, 2016 model.
- “American Brand, V8, VXR, 5.7, Auto Engine WITH INTELLIGENCE”.
The senators also want the vehicles to come with:
- integrated navigator cruise control,
- QI-Compatible wireless charging and Kinetic dynamic suspension system, as well as being “full option”.
On November 21, the Senate also put up another advert it labelled “addendum”.
The latest advert under Lot 2S, which was couched to look like an oversight in the first advert, was for the purchase of vehicles for the use of the senate president’s convoy.
Under Lot 2S and based on the tender document, which they have also obtained, the national assembly is seeking to purchase a 2016 model Mercedes Benz S550 for Mr. Saraki.
Other vehicles being procured for Mr. Saraki include:
- four 2016 Toyota Prado jeeps,
- four 2016 Toyota Hilux SS (Auto)
- as well as a 2016 model Toyota Hiace Bus.
The Director of Information of the National Assembly, Ishaku Dibal, declined to comment on the matter.