The Presidency has disclosed that the stolen funds recovered from corrupt political leaders during the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration were currently with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
According to The Punch reports, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, on Saturday, November 28, said the looted fund was being returned to government coffers through the CBN.
“The looted fund is being returned through CBN. Only the bank can speak on the procedure, and how much has been returned so far,” he said.
When further asked if the President was considering pardoning those who have returned their loot or they will still be prosecuted, Adesina replied:
“The President has not made a declaration on whether those who returned money voluntarily would still be prosecuted or not.”
Bear in mind, the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, on Friday, November 27 had said Federal Government is yet to put a specific figure to the amount of money so far returned by those who looted the treasury and that the process was still ongoing.
Meanwhile, Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state spoke of the claim by Mrs Adeosun that the Ministry of Finance do not have details of any fund recovered from officials of the immediate past government of Dr Jonathan as a vindication of his position that President Buhari was not saying the truth, urging Nigerians to ask the President where the so-called looted fund was paid and who made the payments.