A group, Save Democracy Contingent, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to reverse some of his ministerial nominations to avoid a crisis in the All Progressives Congress (APC).
While the Senate prepares for another round of ministerial screening tomorrow, October 20, the group stated that some of Buhari’s nominees were not members of the APC, and as such do not merit the appointments.
This disclosure was made known in a statement on Sunday jointly signed by its president, Ade Ibitutu, and other officials, namely Ahmed Jibrin, Okon Eta and Chijioke Nkwocha.
Speaking about some of these ministerial nominees:
– The SDC alleged that Aisha Abubakar from Sokoto state was nominated for being the daughter of Abubakar Alhaji and niece of Mamman Daura.
– Zainab Ahmed, the nominee from Kaduna state, was nominated because she is a cousin to the state governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
– Suleiman Adamu was nominated merely for being Buhari’s nephew.
– Khadija Abba Bukar Ibrahim was picked because she was the wife of Abba Bukar Ibrahim, the three-time governor of Yobe state.
– The appointment of Geoffrey Onyeama from Enugu state cannot be unconnected from the fact that he was a class mate and friend of Abba Kyari, the chief of staff to the president.
– Anthony Anwuka, a professor, was nominated because he is an in-law to Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo state.
– The group also criticised the appointment of Okechukwu Enelama, alleging he was a deputy pastor to the vice president.
– The group alleged that a former vice chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Isaac Adewole, was nominated to please former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
– Claudius Daramola was allegedly nominated to diminish the hold of a former governor of Lagos state, Bola Tinubu, in the south west.
The group continued: “Unfolding events have shown that our great Party the APC is dangerously sliding into crisis of unimaginable dimension. Our genuine fear is that if APC implodes or runs into the palpable crisis being brewed wittingly or unwittingly by a cabal around Mr President, it will definitely impact negatively in the country’s democratic landscape.
“For the avoidance of doubt, we are not making this statement because no youth made his ministerial list; but genuine concern to say capital NO to the deceit making rounds that the cabal which hijacked power from President Buhari is Kaduna Mafia. The tag of Kaduna Mafioso is being weaved to hold tightly on Northerners who in all Mr President’s four elections of 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015 pro bono obliged him vote bank of 12 million votes.”
“The crass nepotism and cronyism unfortunately have spread across in the ministerial nomination.
“It is akin to the early days of Hitler’s fascism; where people will say the annihilation doesn’t concern them because they are not communists nor Jews or Catholics, until it spread.
“The Fascist Cabal is given an impression that President Buhari will run for one term, even if this is the case; is it enough reason to kill APC? Or kill the integrity quotient of President Buhari?”
“Although we are not challenging the powers of the president under the 1999 Constitution to appoint whomsoever he deemed fit, he should, in the interest of fairness, equity, natural justice and survival of APC, urgently reverse the Signature of the Fascist Cabal, especially in the 2nd Ministerial Nominees List as the Window of Substitution is still wide open.
“Accordingly, we appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, to urgently reverse the ignoble Signature of the Fascist Cabal, as the window of substitution is still open.
“This will quickly redeem Your Excellency’s image, which the main opposition party – the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has gone to town, narrating the ugly tale that President is never in charge.”