The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON has on Saturday announced that it had so far transported 36,269 pilgrims from Mecca, Saudi Arabia, back to Nigeria.
According to the Director, Public Affairs of the commission, Alhaji Uba Mana, while speaking with the News agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Mecca, he said more than 66,000 Nigerians were transported to Saudi Arabia for the 2015 Hajj.
Mana said the exercise had been hitch-free since its commencement on Monday, Sept. 28, adding that the pilgrims had been transported in 93 flights.
He said the commission had started transporting pilgrims from Kano on Oct. 9, while most of the pilgrims from Lagos, Ogun, Zamfara, Sokoto, Kogi, Abuja, Gombe, Bauchi, Katsina. Borno, Nassarawa and Jigawa were transported back home.
Mana assured that the exercise would be concluded on schedule, stressing that air carriers had been working hard to achieve that.
In the same vein, the National Youth Service Corps has contacted the families of 100 corps members, who participated in this year’s Hajj in Saudi Arabia, where about 99 Nigerians have been confirmed dead in a stampede in Mina.
The decision came on the heels of apprehension by family members since the stampede took place.
According to the NYSC Director, Press and Public Relations, Mrs. Bose Aderibigbe, “We have started contacting their next-of-kin to let us know what is happening. So far, they have not told us anyone was missing.
“About 100 corps members got permission from us to go (for Hajj) and we have contacted their next-of-kin to find out whether they are in link with them. We have contacted our various states to contact their next-of-kin on the phone.
“The management of NYSC has compiled a list of those who applied and sent to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria; until the reply comes that we can know. Also, their next-of-kin have been contacted. No one has gotten back to us that their wards were involved.”
Recall, about three million Muslims from across the world participated in this year’s Hajj in Saudi Arabia. NAN