The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, has on Friday announced that more Nigerian pilgrims died in last week’s Hajj stampede, compared to what was previously said, adding that the current death toll stands at 74.
Speaking during an interview with BBC Hausa Service, the chairman of the commission, Abdullahi Mohammed, said the number of the Nigerian pilgrims who died in the tragedy had risen to 74.
Speaking of the figures, he said 54 out of 74 pilgrims who died in the stampede were from states’ delegation, while 20 were international pilgrims who used private tour operators.
“We can confirm that 75 persons is the latest figure, while 243 pilgrims are [still] missing,” he said.
NAHCON disclosed that most of the dead pilgrims were from Bauchi, Borno, Cross Rivers, Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, and Nasarawa states, while others are from Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara states.
The NAHCON chairman also said Sokoto State had the highest number of casualties.