3,032 out of 5,000 soldiers, who were dismissed from the Nigerian army for alleged indiscipline in the ongoing war with Boko Haram Islamic extremists in the northeast of the country have been reinstated.
This disclosure was made known at a news conference in Abuja on Thursday by the acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman.
Usman, however said the cases presented to the disciplinary review committee were treated on merit, adding that the review process was still on, only soldiers with disciplinary cases have been reinstated, as those with criminal cases were not considered by the committee.
“You would recall that the Nigerian Army sometime ago instituted a committee to review the recent disciplinary cases in the service, especially of those soldiers in the defunct “Operation Zaman Lafiya.’’
“The committee has concluded its initial sitting and has made certain recommendations that led to the reinstatement of 3,032 soldiers out of 5,000 cases reviewed so far.
“The cases reviewed were only disciplinary as no criminal cases were considered, the review is ongoing but the bulk of the work has been done for the time being,’’ he said.
The director said the reinstated soldiers had since commenced re-training at a military facility in Niger State preparatory for their eventual redeployment to the operational theatre.
On the fate of 66 soldiers who were sentenced to death by military courts for mutiny related offences at the war front, Usman said the panel reviewed only some of the disciplinary cases, not criminal cases.
“In any case, the condemned soldiers have already filed for appeal. So it is in the judicial process and it is on,” he stated.