Reports have just reached us that five pilgrims from Gombe State have been declared missing in the hajj stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia.
According to the Executive Secretary, Gombe State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Usman Gurama, while speaking with newsmen in Mina, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday, the pilgrims could not be located since Thursday.
He, however, said that for now, it had not been confirmed as to whether they were among those who died as a result of Thursday’s incident at the Jamrat (stone throwing venue) where over 700 pilgrims died.
Gurama confirmed that seven pilgrims from the state were injured at the scene of the incident and were responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, the Taraba State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board has confirmed the death of the state’s Amirul Hajj for the 2015 pilgrimage, Alhaji Abbas Ibrahim, the First Class ruler of Zing.
The chairman of the board, Alhaji Hamman-Adama Tukur, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in a telephone interview from Saudi Arabia.
Tukur explained that the emir died on Thursday during a stampede that claimed the lives of more than 700 pilgrims.
The Zing Traditional Council has also confirmed that the Emir died along with two of his four wives during the stampede.
The Tafidan Zing, Gurama Bawa, who confirmed the death of the wives in an interview with NAN, said the late emir was aged 62 and had been on the throne for 19 years.
He left behind, two wives and 13 children.