Former Chadian dictator, Hissene Habre, was carried into court and restrained by masked security guards today in Senegal’s capital, Dakar, as charges were read at the re-start of his trial for crimes against humanity during his rule (1982-1990).
Habre, who was accused of responsibility for thousands of killings and cases of torture during his eight-year rule, has refused to recognise the legitimacy of the court.
The trial which, comes 45 days after he and his lawyers boycotted the court, marks the first time an African ex-president faces justice in sub-Saharan Africa.
A media report on Monday in Dakar said Habre shouted “Shut up! Shut up!” at the clerk, as the indictment was read.
It said Habre had to be restrained in his seat by three balaclava-wearing police officers, as he shouted abuse at the court.
So far, about 2,500 of the dictator’s victims had submitted their testimonies, including those of Rights groups who accused the 72-year-old of being responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people during his time in power.
The court has meanwhile appointed a new team of lawyers to represent Habre for the remainder of the trial.