The succession search has begun! Following the burial of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Sijuwade Okunade, indications have emerged on the likely ruling house that will produce the next Ooni of Ife and who, within the family will wear the crown and handle the royal scimitar.
Interestingly, some elders from the royal family expected to produce the next ruler, have reportedly thrown five names open. The News report.
The people seeking to replace Oba Sijuwade include:
– Prince Ademola Ademiluyi, an octogenarian, lawyer and a close confidant of Chief Rasaq Okoya (chairman, Eleganza Group)
– Prince Yinka Ademiluyi, a septuagenarian socialite
– Prince Gboyega Ademiluyi, said to be in his late sixties, but suave, cultured and a highly successful oil magnate
– Prince Adebambo Ademiluyi, in his mid-sixties, an ex- Kings College graduate
– Prince Kanmi Ademiluyi, who is in his late 50s
– Dr. Rahmon Adegoke Adedoyin, a prince from Akui ruling house and proprietor of Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
It would be noted that there are four ruling houses in Ile-Ife: Giesi, Lafogido, Osinkola and Ogboru.
According to information gathered, Giesi Ruling House is more favoured to produce the next king but has to slug it out with Lafogido Ruling House.
Residents of the town expect both Osinkola and Ogboru Ruling Houses not to join the race on moral grounds because they both produced the last two kings in the town: Oba Adesoji Aderemi and Oba Sijuwade, respectively.