In addition with eating healthy and exercising, these are some of the herbs you can use to aid your weight loss journey:
1. Ginger: adding ginger to your diet improves the thermic effect of food and prevents unnecessary snacking and compulsive eating of high calorie food by promoting the feeling of satiety, which means you will feel so satisfied. You won’t need to eat before you’re supposed to. It also improves your digestion and boosts metabolism. Drink 2-3 cups of ginger tea every day or chew small pieces of ginger in between meals. You can also add ginger to your meals or use ginger capsules but you must consult your doctor to use the ginger capsule.
2. Oregano: this herb is rich in carvacrol that helps to dissolve fat and also aids in digestion and reduces bloating. Put three teaspoons of oregano leaves in one cup of hot water and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Strain it and your oregano tea is ready to drink. Have like 2-3 cups every day. You can also add 4-5 drops of oregano oil to a glass of low calorie fruit juice and you can drink that once daily. Oregano fights depression and stress; two major causes of overeating that leads to weight gain.
3. Peppermint: this is a natural appetite suppressant that helps decrease hunger pangs and control appetite which will help you manage overeating. It aids digestion, reduces bloating and also has soothing, calming effect that helps to reduce stress. Put one teaspoon of peppermint leaves in a pot of hot water and leave for about 10 minutes. Strain it, pour in a cup, allow to cool and drink. You can also add few drops of peppermint oil on a clean handkerchief and inhale it. The peppermint scent helps to curb food cravings.
4. Green Tea: drinking green tea boosts your metabolism and also help you burn more calories. The tea has antioxidants called catechins that stimulate the fat burning process. Put 1-2 teaspoons of good quality green tea in a cup and pour hot water over it. Leave it for 2-3 minutes to steep and then strain the water. Drink 3-4 cups of green tea every day and with regular exercise coupled with healthy eating, you’re sure to lose weight.
5. Turmeric: prepare a detox drink by mixing one teaspoon of turmeric powder, lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a little raw honey (just for taste) in one cup of warm water. You can also make turmeric tea by adding half teaspoon each of turmeric powder and dry ginger powder to 2 cups of boiling water and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then, strain and lemon juice for taste. Take the detox drink once every day and the turmeric tea twice daily.