Good thing I’m not the only who thinks Madrid made a mess of Casillas’s exit. The player’s agent Santos Marquez has revealed that Real Madrid forced his client out of the club and he also branded the situation a disaster.
The iconic goalkeeper put an end to 25 years at the Bernabeu and signed a two-year contract with Porto after events at the capital club became too much for him to handle.
Despite repeat claims from the club that the Spain international had orchestrated the Santiago Bernabeu departure, Casillas’ agent and lawyer has claimed the opposite is true and that new coach Rafa Benitez dodged attempts to discuss his future.
“Casillas never decided to jump ship and leave Madrid. He was pushed,” Marquez said when speaking to Marca and Cope.
“Casillas did not ask to leave, he has been annoyed and everything about his exit had been agreed behind his back. He has to go, so he accepts that, but at no point did Casillas want to leave.
“One factor was the whistles he received from the Bernabeu, but another is the support from the club. He has never felt defended. Nobody – including Florentino – from the club said ‘I will sit with Iker Casillas and I will defend him to the death’. That never happened.
“Benitez has played hide-and-seek, he let me down. We were hoping to talk to the coach. It has not been fair to Iker, it hasn’t been the exit he deserves – it’s been a disaster.”
Earlier, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez had been caught on camera admitting Casillas, 34, had endured all he could stomach at the club.
“He wanted to leave because he’d had a gut full,” the Blancos chief was overheard saying at the goalkeeper’s hastily organised farewell event on Monday.