Van Praag Pulls Out Of FIFA Presidency Campaign

share on:

In an attempt to oust FIFA President Sepp Blatter, Fifa presidential candidate, Michael Van Praag has stood down from his election campaign.

Eight days before the election on May 29, the Dutch FA Chief has chosen to drop out of the race to run world football’s governing body. He is expected to elaborate on his decision on Thursday.

“Michael van Praag has decided, after long consideration with stakeholeders and third parties that he withdraw his candidacy for the Fifa presidency,” the KNVB said in a statement. “He will support the bid of Prince Ali Al Hussein now.

“An explanation on his decision will be held during an international press conference in Amsterdam. Michael van Praag will give his explanation on his decision and Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein will speak as well.”

Van Praag then went on to say.

“From day one we (Luis Figo, Prince Ali and Van Praag) said: ‘There will be a moment where we have to plan out the best strategy’. Last week we did this on Monday.

“Three candidates, two or one. Everybody I’ve spoken to in the last three months said: ‘Guys, one candidate, otherwise you don’t stand a chance’. More than one candidate is no real bid.

“We all think we’re the best candidate. But the most important thing is that somebody else than Blatter becomes president, not that Michael van Praag becomes president. Prince Ali will explain tonight how he tries to reach his goal and wich agenda points he will take from my bid.”

OneTife

OneTife

I solemnly promise to deliver dope sports news and keep you informed of the major happenings in the sporting world. So help me God. I'm an awesome Electrical engineer in the making.

Leave a Reply