At least 200 soldiers have been sacked by authorities at the Nigerian Army for being timid against opposition forces of the Boko Haram sect.
Our sources have confirmed that the soldiers were dismissed from the Rukuba Barracks in Jos for their inability to gain control of the dreaded Sambisa forest. One Aguloye Sunday, a dismissed soldier among the 200, told newsmen that they had been arraigned on a two-count charge of “failure to perform military duty and disobedience to standing order.” Sunday further disclosed that they were insufficiently armed hence their inability to go against the terrorists. He also stated that they would seek redress in court given that the allegations against them were untrue.
“The bombs given to us were made in 1964; they were expired, so we could not use them,” he said.
“Each of us was given five bullets, not five rounds, to fire. While in the forest, our biggest weapon was to cover just a distance of 400 meters, but our enemy had aircraft weapons that could cover a distance of more than 1,000 metres, aside other dangerous weapons.
“We only retreated to our base and waited in vain for ammunition for three days.”
The Nigerian Army has since denied the claims that the soldiers weren’t provided with adequate ammunition to combat the terrorists, instead saying they fled from their duties. Its Director, Public Relations; Colonel S.K. Usman stated that:
“On disciplinary action being taken against some soldiers for cowardice and desertion in the face of enemies, especially as regards the fight against Boko Haram terrorists, most of the stories and figure being peddled are far from accurate.
“Disciplinary processes or trials are never done with prior intention to dismiss anyone in the Nigerian Army. The only intention is to dispense justice and even at that, due process is normally followed.”