Abubakar Shekau, the notorious leader of the ruthless terrorist organisation, Boko Haram is reportedly on the run as Nigerian military close up on last strong hold of Boko Haram in Sambisa forest.
Quoting a military source, PR-Nigeria, a media consultancy organization for security agencies, said since the declaration of the final push against the insurgents in the middle of February, and directive to clear all terrorists’ camps before May 29 handover date, the Nigerian troops have been on the lookout for Shekau and other commanders of Boko Haram.
“The guy simply disappeared from the radar; it is like the guy suddenly vanished. We wish we can catch him alive”, the source added.
What you need to know about Abubakar Shekau
* Abubakar Shekau is also known by the alias Darul Akeem wa Zamunda Tawheed, or Darul Tawheed
* He is an ethnic Kanuri but also speaks Hausa, Arabic, and English.
* Shekau survived being shot in the leg during the 2009 attempt on his life by Nigerian security forces
* Shekau is computer proficient, leading Boko Haram with ties to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, private and caliphates in cyber espionage with many advantages.
*Shekau was born in the Republic of Niger.
* His Twitter Handle is @DarulTawheed
* He is married to one of Muhammad Yusuf’s four wives
Shekau was last seen in a broadcast in which he pledged allegiance to Islamic State (IS), early in March, which was posted on Boko Haram’s Twitter account.
In the video he vowed to truncate the rescheduled March 28 and April 11 polls – a threat that didn’t materialize because of the arrangements put in place by the country’s security agencies.
Shekau on the run as Nigerian military close up on last strong hold of Boko Haram in Sambisa forest. pic.twitter.com/A6wCnJwZnj
— NTA News (@NTANewsNow) April 24, 2015