Morocco has recalled its ambassador from Nigeria, accusing the Jonathan’s lead government of using King Mohammed VI in election campaign. The bone of contention seems to be the Federal Government’s claim that President Goodluck Jonathan was in a telephone conversation with the King of Morocco.
Its foreign ministry issued a statement, denying the king had spoken by phone to Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan, as had been stated by Nigeria. The North Africa kingdom denounced such “unethical practices”, it said.
The Nigerian ministry of foreign affairs released a statement on Sunday, denying reports that President Jonathan had been snubbed by King Mohammed because he was trying to curry favour with Muslim voters.
“This information is absolutely not correct as the president did in fact speak to the Moroccan monarch… both leaders spoke extensively over the phone on matters of mutual interest and concern,” it said.
However, Morocco’s foreign ministry responded by saying it wanted to state in the “clearest and strongest terms” that “there has never been a phone conversation” between the two men.
“The king has actually declined the request of the Nigerian government because it is part of the internal electioneering,” Morocco’s official news agency Map quoted the statement as saying.
Who do we believe now?