In reprisal to the beheading of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christian hostages which was posted online by Isis, Egypt has to that cause reportedly launched air strikes against the militant group targets in Libya. Independent report.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has promised to avenge the beheading on Sunday night, saying the country reserved the right to respond in a way it sees fit.
Libya Dawn, a moderate Islamic faction that presently controls Tripoli, has condemned the strikes. A spokesperson said they were “an assault against Libyan sovereignty”.
But this claim was disputed by Mr al Joroushi, of the Libyan armed forces, who said the attacks had been conducted with full respect to the nation’s sovereignty, but added that the country would not allow boots on the ground.
The video showing the mass beheading of Egyptian Coptic Christian hostages has sparked worldwide revulsion since it was posted online yesterday.
In the UK, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said: “Such barbaric acts strengthen our determination to work with our partners to counter the expanding terrorist threat to Libya and the region.
“Acts of terrorism should not be allowed to undermine Libya’s political transition.
“We remain fully supportive of the UN’s efforts to build a national unity government for Libya and to bring a political solution to the ongoing security crisis. Those who support terrorists can have no part in this process.”
Meanwhile, Pope Francis described the 21 murdered hostages as “martyrs”, saying they were “killed simply because they were Christians”.