Due to the inability of the Federal Government to honour a scheduled meeting between both sides today, 22. Dec. The Health workers have threatened to stop all “skeletal and concessional services” in all healthcare facilities.
The workers under the aegis of Joint Health Workers Union disclosed to newsmen recently that the suspension of activity in the wake of the strike was to ensure “total compliance,” describing federal government’s attitude as “lack of commitment and seriousness.”
The association is demanding that the federal government implement agreements reached since 2009 and several rulings of the National Industrial Court in their favour.
The chairman of JOHESU, Comrade Ayuba Wabba said, that two previous meetings since the strike started on November 12 have been without meaningful progress.
The union said key officials of the federal health ministry, from the minister and permanent secretary to directors “were conspicuously absent, thereby stalling the meeting.”
It has also accused government of threatening and intimidating its members, in effect pushing “double standards” different from how government treated doctors who went on strike earlier this year.