The Africa cup of nations organisers have in a letter signed by the African football confederation (CAF) Secretary General, Hicham El Amrani, asked an unknown number of national associations and countries including South Africa and Ghana if they were prepared to host the 2015 tournament if Morocco withdrew over fears of Ebola.
The letter reads in part: “In case Morocco refuses to maintain the staging of the competition at the agreed dates, CAF would like to know whether your federation would be willing and able to organise the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations. Kindly note that this letter is also sent to some other federations capable of staging the 2015 edition of the event. In case CAF receives two or more positive responses, a draw will be made by the executive committee to designate the host of the 2015 edition.”
AFP was told by a senior football official who spoke on the condition of anonymity in Johannesburg that South Africa and Ghana were among the countries who received the letter after Morocco said last week that they wanted the January 17-February 8 tournament postponed because they feared it could trigger a spread of the Ebola epidemic.
Moroccan request to delay the biennial African football showpiece was rejected by CAF, but the issue will be discussed on November 2 in Algeria.