Don’t negotiate for Chibok girls, Muslims tell Sultan

share on:
Sultan of Sokoto begs Ban Ki-Moon: Monarch pleads for assistance with oot

The Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs has warned the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, against holding talks with the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram, until he receives an official approval from the Federal Government.

The apex body of Muslims in the country fears that the Sultan might be blackmailed by the government if he goes ahead to negotiate with the terrorist group, especially on the over 200 pupils of Government Girls’ Secondary School abducted by the sect on April 14, without an official consent.

The council warned that the Islamic leader should not be hoodwinked into making such moves by those calling for his intervention in the insurgency by the sect.

Some Islamic elite, under the aegis of Concerned Muslim Professionals, had written to the Sultan earlier in July, asking him to lead the dialogue with the Boko Haram sect.

The group told the monarch, who is the President-General of the NSCIA, to use his position and engage members of the sect in dialogue that would make them stop their campaign of killings.

Similarly, a human rights activist based in the North and President, Civil Rights Congress of Nigeria, Mr. Shehu Sani, had earlier in May asked the Sultan to spearhead the moves to secure the release of the abducted pupils from the group’s captivity.

Sani, in a letter to the religious leader, had said, “You (Sultan) have a moral duty and a spiritual responsibility to be visibly and actively involved in seeking the resolution of this impasse happening within areas you have religious influence.”

However, the Secretary-General of the NSCIA, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede on Thursday, warned that the President-General of the council should not be hoodwinked into taking up the task of negotiating with the terrorists.

KingFemii

KingFemii

Music, Gossips and Pepsi keeps me going. You should follow on twitter @kingfemii

Leave a Reply