Of all the plants found on earth, marijuana, weed or cannabis is one of the most controversial. It has been condemned by lots of people and yet, has been praised by so many too. Some see marijuana as a very dangerous drug that has destroyed many lives. Weed has been said to be the cause of psychological problems in avid users but this is actually not true. There is no scientific research that has proven that excessive intake of cannabis can damage someone’s brain, although it can make some users misbehave but only temporarily. Like every other herbal plant, marijuana has major positive effects on our body and mind. It serves as an antidepressant, anti-inflamatorry, antioxidant and a neuroprotective and that is why the drug should be made legal in Nigeria.
Some other reasons to legalize cannabis in the country are:
1. PREVENTS THE SPREAD OF CANCER: researchers at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco reported in 2007 that cannabis may help prevent cancer from spreading. Weed contains a major active agent called cannabidiol that turns off a gene called Id-1, hereby stopping cancer.
2. PREVENTS BLINDNESS: glaucoma is an eye disease that increases pressure in the eyeball, thereby destroying the optic nerves and causing loss of vision. According the National Eye Institute, smoking marijuana lowers intra ocular pressure in people with and without glaucoma. Effects of the drugs decreases the progression of the disease, therefore preventing blindness.
3. RELIEVES ATHRITIS PAINS: cannabinoids help reduce pain and help people sleep better. It is also an anti-inflamatory drug and also promotes sleep. Weed is therefore a great drug for people with arthritis.
4. AN ANTI-AXIETY DRUG: smoking marijuana has a calming effect on people, therefore it is good for people who are always anxious.
5. IMPROVES CREATIVITY IN PEOPLE: people who smoke weed have been said to be very creative. It helps people think more productively and that is why musicians, artists, actress etc. use it to enhance their craft. Cannabis is also said to make people bold and courageous.
6. HELPS EPILEPTIC PATIENTS
Weed is said to help prevent seizures in epileptic patients and greatly, it is a drug that has no side effect on the patient. Weed is also said to help patients with Tourrette.
7. NATURAL DIET DRUG: study has shown that people who spoke cannabis are slimmer than people who don’t. Weed smokers have slimmer waist. Weed is therefore a natural herbal plant that will keep you slim without side effects.
8. TREATS DIABETES: there is an active agent in marijuana; tetrahydrocannabinol that helps the body take in insulin which patients with diabetes need. Weed, therefore, is a very good drug for patients suffering from diabetes especially type 2 diabetes.
9. TREATS AIDS
recent study has shown that one of the active agents in marijuana; tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) stopped the spread of HIV in monkeys that were treated with high dose of THC. They were said to be healthier than those who were not treated with tetrahydrocannabinol. However, this has not been tested on human.
10. MIGRAINE RELIEVER
Cannabis has anti-inflamatorry agents that help relieve pain. It is a potent pain killer that provides relief for people with migraine. It is also good for people with multiple sclerosis.