An international panel of experts are to re-examine all of the data gathered in the search for the missing Malaysian airline flight MH37O to make sure that the search crew have been searching the right places. Today, government officials from China, Australia and Malaysia have pledged not to give up on the search for the plane that disappeared almost two months ago. They met in the Australian capital to discuss matters which included the nest step to take in the search for the missing flight which will now centre on an expanded patch of sea-floor in a remote area of the Indian ocean. The area is now the focus of the search after a team of analysts calculated the plane’s likeliest flight path based on satellite and radar data.
‘We’ve got to this stage of the process where it’s very sensible to go back and have a look at all of the data that has been gathered, all of the analysis that has been done and make sure there’s no flaws in it, the assumptions are right, the analysis is right and the deductions and conclusions are right,’ Angus Houston, head of the search operation, told reporters in Canberra.
Investigators have been stuck by a lack of hard data since the plane vanished on March 8 during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The long search for surface debris was called off last week after officials determined any wreckage that may have been floating has likely sunk.
‘Unfortunately, all of that effort has found nothing,’ Australian Transport Minister Warren Truss said. ‘We’ve been confident on the basis of the information provided that the search area was the right one, but in practice, that confidence has not been converted into us discovering any trace of the aircraft.’
Angus Houston has warned that the underwater search is likely to drag on for up to a year.