More than 400 people would have been greatly affected by the bomb blast that occurred on Saturday night during the Champions League Final at Bauchi Road. The bomb happened to detonate prematurely however and it ended up killing 3 people with a fourth body discovered earlier on today.The lone bomber had targeted a Television viewing centre where youths were watching the finals of the EUFA Championship League between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.
An eye witness, Alhaji Garba Ahmad, who said he lost his senior brother, Alhaji Bello, in the blast, told Punch Newspaper that the bomber had first attempted to enter the viewing centre, but was prevented by a barricade erected along the road.
He then turned back and tried to enter through a garage, but also encountered a wall between the centre and the garage.
In frustration, the bomber packed the car, a Honda Odyssey, in front a house.
Ahmad said, “When we saw the car, unusually packed in front of our house, my brother challenged him. He told my brother that his car had a fault and wanted to repair it. My brother then asked him to take the car away. Sensing something unusual I went inside and asked all the members of our family to leave the house. Just as my by brother was persuading the man to leave the premises, he (the bomber) entered the car and immediately he started I, it exploded, killing my brother, his son and his friend.”
It was also gathered that the bomber had gone to the viewing centre earlier in the day on reconnaissance.
An official of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mr. Mohammed Suleiman, said that the agency received a distress call at about 9 pm on Saturday and immediately rushed to the scene to carry out search and rescue operation. He said that three people died on yen spot, while the body of the fourth person was discovered early Sunday morning.
Member representing Jos North in the Plateau State House of Assembly, Mr. Ibrahim Hasaan visited the scene along with the Chairman of the Care taker Committee of Jos North Local Government Area, Dr. Sanda Wakili, said that the recent bombing in an exclusively Muslim enclave is an indication that nobody is safe in Nigeria.
Hassan, who spoke to newsmen at the scene of the blast, called on youths in the state irrespective of tribe, religion to rise up and fight insurgency.
“We should put sentiments aside because if the latest bomb can be exploded in an area that is 100 per cent Muslim, then we should stop playing the blame game and know that all of us are at risk.
Wakili, who also spoke to newsmen said that insurgency has gone wild. He said that the aim of the attackers was to stoke reprisal so that the whole state would be on fire and enjoined people of Jos North to be resolute in their resolve to live together.
“It is here today, only God knows where next, but whatever is their purpose, they have have to achieve their aim, because if the bomb had exploded at the television viewing centre, the death toll would have been unimaginable.”
He said that the fact that the owner of the house was able to challenge the bomber meant that the campaign for vigilance is being heard and adhered to by the citizens