Samsung assures us the last Galaxy Camera was a rousing success. It was so successful, in fact, Samsung has opted to make a new version of the Android-powered camera. Note that this is the regular camera with Android, not the Android phone with a big camera (Galaxy Zoom) or the high-end camera with Android (Galaxy NX). The new Galaxy Camera 2 comes with a few upgraded camera specs and a newer version of Android on-board.
If you’re still in the market for a standalone camera, the Galaxy Camera has sonme rather intresting good number of specs :
- Image Sensor: 16.3 effective megapixel
- Lens: 21x Optical Zoom Lens, 23 mm Wide Angle, F2.8(W) ~ 5.9(T) with OIS
- Display: 4.8-inch HD Super Clear Touch LCD Screen
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Video: MP4 (Video: MPEG4, AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC); Full HD 1920×1080 /30fps, 1280×720 /60fps, 1280×720 /30fps, 640×480 /60fps,
640×480(30fps), 320×240(30fps); Multi Motion Video 768 x 512 (WVGA, x1/8, x1/4, x1/2, x2, x4, x8) /120fps
- Processor: 1.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
- OS: Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean)
- Storage: 8GB Internal memory (User memory approximately 2.8GB) ＋ microSD slot (up to 64GB)
- RAM: 2GB
- Connectivity: WiFi a/b/g/n, GPS/GLONASS, Bluetooth® 4.0, NFC
- Battery: 2000mAh
It is now has a f/2.8 lens instead of f/4.1 found on the camera 1. The sensor resolution of 16MP and the 21x zoom are the same as the last-generation device, though. The Galaxy Camera 2 also adds NFC, which should make for easier image sharing. The battery is also a big step up from the old 1650mAh cell found on it’s first brother.
Samsung only includes 8GB of storage in the device, which leaves you with a scant 2.8GB of space, plus the microSD card slot. The Galaxy Camera 2 does come pre-loaded with Dropbox and 50GB of free space for 2 years. You’re also looking at Android 4.3 with Samsung’s usual array of S Features and Google services. There is no pricing or release timing, but Samsung is going to be showing the device off at CES 2014 next week, and will only go on sale after CES 2014. I’ll leave you with gallery images below for your viewing pleasure.