The Federal Government said on Monday that it was no longer interested in sacking the lecturers which was supposed to have been done on Monday.
Rather, it said it was satisfied with the lecturers compliance with the directive given to them to resume or risk being sacked.
The senior special assistant to the president on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe said this while briefing journalists on the payment of the N200bn by the Federal Government into the “Revitalisation of Universities infrastructure” account with the Central Bank of Nigeria.
The Special Assistant’s claim was however described as total falsehood by the ASUU leadership, which also said it would not attend a meeting with the Supervising Minister of Education, Mr. Nyesom Wike and Vice-Chancellors on the University Needs Assessment Report implementation Committee.
Okupe had told journalists that the FG was soft pedalling on the threat to sack the defiant Lecturers because many citizens had intervened. Okupe also explained that the government was forced to give the ultimatum but said it was no longer interested due to the compliance by “70% of the striking lecturers”. He also accused the media of presenting the strike as if the FG and ASUU were in a Face off.
While giving further evidence that the N200bn had been paid, Okupe released a copy of the letter written to the Deputy Governor of CBN, Mr. Tunde Lemo to the Accountant General of the federation to journalists.
The letter, with reference GVD/DGO/GEN/MPA/05/151 and dated December 10, 2013, reads in part, “confirmation of the execution of your mandates for the credit of account No: 00200xx522, Revitalisation of Universities infrastructure Account.
“I write to confirm the execution of the following mandates by the CBN for funding of the above mentioned account as follows.
1. Mandate FDL/LP201340/1/30/DF: N129,300,000,000:00
2. Mandate FD/FA/124/Vol x11/120/1DF: N20,700,000,000:00
3. Mandate FD/LP2013/40/1/DF: N50,000,000,000:00
“I wish to further confirm that the available balance in the aforementioned account is N200bn. Please accept the assurances of my best regards.” Okupe later said “I hereby show the proof of payment to all Nigerians, not only to ASUU and to let the people know that when they say that this administration has no credibility issue, we mean it.
“We have kept our cool; we have taken a lot of insults and all that and things that were disparaging but we are glad to show this proof and that this has been done as we said.”