This Week #InTheNews – Home & Away (17.11.13 – 21.11.13) by @kathyesan

share on:

Hello, its another edition of “In The News”, your go to source for informative and entertaining news that occurred in Nigeria and beyond during the week.(17.11.13 – 21.11.13). This week has been a rather eventful week with lots of weird news occurring.

*MAN TORTURED TO DEATH …….by vigilantes his mum invited over her missing cell phones.
A 55 years old mother in Ejilewe Ukagba Nbo community in Ebonyi state is now beset with regret for handing over her son (OME NWAPU) to the leaders of Ejilewe neighborhood security to punish on the suspicion that he stole her two cell phones but rather than recover the phones, she got a dead son back.

According to the Ebonyi state commissioner of police Mr Maigari Dikko who described the incident as terrible and ugly , he told Sunday sun that the ugly cycle of events which led to Ome’s untimely death began when his mum who noticed her cell phones had developed wings accused him of stealing them, probably not convinced with his denials, she reported to one Dennis Eze, the leader of the vigilante group who along with other members came and arrested Ome at about 6.30pm, and in the course of interrogation, tied up his hands, tortured him for about 12 hours and released him to his mum at about 6.00am, by then, he was in great pains and could not walk well and died two days later.

Ome’s mother explained further that she even bought a carton of beer and a bottle of hot drink in appreciation, not knowing her son would die two days later.She pleaded for forgiveness from God and her late son, but that is all cold comfort for her son whose dead body is laying in the mortuary. CP Dikko revealed that four culprits had been apprehended and would soon be charged to court.

*13 YEARS OLD BOY KILLS FRIEND OVER EARPHONE
The police in Kogi have arrested a 13 years old boy Yinusa Halilu for allegedly killing his friend and classmate Mustapha Kazeem, 12, over a damaged earpiece. ACP Austin Evakobokun, Kogi state acting commissioner of police told journalist that a scuffle ensued between the suspect and the deceased, both primary school pupils when Halilu demanded a return of the earpiece he lent to the late Kazeem, who told him it was damaged thus making Halilu demand monetary compensation for the damaged earpiece. This demand enraged the deceased who reportedly called the suspect a thief resulting in an exchange of hot words.

Evakobokun said Kazeem became furious, rushed into the house, brought out a sharp cutlass and inflicted cuts on the suspects’ head. The suspect reportedly also rushed to a nearby restaurant with his machete cuts, and picked a knife with which he stabbed the deceased in the chest killing him instantly. The suspect in an interview with news men claimed that the late Kazeem was his friend and he hit him first.

*PHILIPPINES DISASTER:CATHOLIC BISHOPS BEGIN CAMPAIGN TO RAISE FUNDS
The catholic bishop conference on Sunday said it has begun a campaign to raise funds for the victims of the super typhoon Haiyan which claimed over 3,261 persons in the Philippines. Philippine is the third largest catholic country in the world.The bishop of Umuahia diocese and chairman committee for justice, development, peace and Caritas, Most Rev Lucius Ugorgii told journalists in Abuja that the decision by CBCN was in accordance with the direction of pope Francis.

He said the pope has “issued an order to all Catholics to rally together and mobilize funds and dispatch relief materials to assist the displaced and bereaved persons.Ugorgi who was represented by the director of church and society/executive secretary of catholic Carita foundation of Nigeria, Rev father Evaristus Bassey also called on people to change their behaviors to the environment as there are little efforts we can do as human beings to reduce the trends of these human disaster.

*GUNMEN INVADE HOSPITAL, DEMAND NEW BORN BABIES
Five men suspected to be ritualist invaded the government hospital in Ado Ekiti demanding for new born babies. The news agency of Nigeria reported that according to a senior health officer who pleaded anonymity, the gunmen who were said to be numbering about five, invaded the hospital along Irona area around 1.00am demanding for day old babies. They got really annoyed when they were told that no baby was available as at the time they came.

When contacted on phone, chairman of ado local government Mr Tope Olanipekun who claimed to have visited the hospital to see things for himself confirmed the incident describing it as the highest point of callousness on the part of the perpetrators. The chairman said he had already ordered that night duty be suspended in the hospitals in the council pending when tight security measures would be taken.

The state police PRO, Mr victor Babayemi who was surprised at the development, however said the incident was yet to be reported at the police command.

 

Now to the foreign scene……..

 

DOCTOR GUILTY OF FONDLING 21 WOMEN UNDER ANAESTHESIA
On Tuesday, a Canadian anaesthesiologist, George Doodnaught was found guilty of sexually assaulting 21 women while they were helpless under anaesthetic, but aware of what was happening. He was accused of kissing, fondling and performing oral sex on his patients at North York general hospital in Toronto during a four year period that ended in 2010, but the defense argued that the victims who under the influence of sedatives had vivid sexual dreams and could not have been assaulted undetected separated by only a surgical screen in the operating room.

It was confirmed at trial that the drugs can cause hallucinations, but unlikely that all women who were unknown to each other would come forward separately with similar accusations at the same doctor. Ontario superior court judge, David McCombs said in his ruling that Doodnaught had control over their level of anesthetic and would  have known that they couldn’t openly resist and that he relied on the amnesiac effect of the drug to shield him from complaints.
Doodnaught is scheduled to return to court next week to set a date for ruling.

*US AMBASSADOR TO CHINA GARY LOCKE TO QUIT POST
Mr Locke said in a statement that he told president Barack Obama this month of his decision to step down to join his family in the us and also due to personal reasons.Mr Locke is the first Chinese American to assume his current role.He elicited admiration from the Chinese public even before he arrived in china when images of him buying his own coffee went viral online, a stark contrast to Chinese officials who are known to travel with an entourage.

But his term has also been marked by a series of delicate diplomatic incidents between the us and china including a row over blind activist Chen Guancheng which overshadowed talks between the US and China. The son of two Chinese immigrants to the us, Mr Locke formerly served as commerce secretary before becoming ambassador to china in 2011.He said in a statement that during his term, he advanced business and tourism relations with china and also advanced American values by meeting with human rights lawyers, ethnic communities and religious leaders.

*PM REJECTS LOWERING OF CONSENT TO 15
The British prime minister has rejected a call from faculty of public health president Prof Don Aston to lower the age of consent to 15.  Downing street said the current age of 16 was in place to protect children and there were no plans to change it. Ashton said lowering the age by a year could “draw a line in the sand against” sex at 14 or younger, he also said in countries with lower age of consent, young people got involved in sex at later age and teenage pregnancy rates were lower.

Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg said he was concerned about high levels of teenage pregnancy, but lowering the age of consent was not the answer.

GOLD BARS WORTH 1.1M DOLLARS FOUND IN PLANE TOILET
On board a jet airways flight at Kolkata airport, cleaners found the haul in two bags, officials said. India is one of the worlds main gold consumers and imports are seen as a major contributor to the country’s account deficit. It recently raised duty on import of gold jewellery to 15% from 10%.

The plane on which the 1kg (2.2lb) gold bars were found on Tuesday reportedly came from Bangkok, local media reported before making stops at India.The cleaning staff of the airport were going through their duties and found two bags in the toilet plane”, airport director BP Mishra told AFP news agency.He was quoted as saying no arrest had been made though one India news said a suspect was being questioned.The gold has been valued at between 70m and 90m rupees. (up to $1.4m).

This week also had its fair share of birthdays of different notable personalities, musicians, actors e.t.c. with the likes of our very own president Goodluck  Ebele Johnathan, David Adeleke (Davido), Joe Biden, Carley Jepsen e.t.c.This is wishing them many more successful years in their careers. This is where i stop typing and wish you a very happy weekend and blissful new week.

Till next week ciao……

Kathy Esan

Kathy Esan

AM demiurgic, efficacious, indefatigable.When am not seeking therapy for my xenuphobia (extreme fear of tom cruise) am busy curating the amazing James Patterson fan site. Analogue by birth, digital by design and......oh well out of words now.

4 comments

Leave a Reply