In other to extend their Blackberry 10 platform to low-budget customers and emerging markets, Blackberry have released what is expected to be a cheaper version of the Q10, the Q5.
1. Camera: The Q5 uses a 5-megapixel camera, which is more comparable to those found on feature phones and cheaper Android devices. The camera unit is probably one of the biggest cost-saving pieces on the Q5.
2. Display: The other area in which the Q5 gives itself away as a value for money phone is the screen. The display is a 3.1-inch 720 x 720 resolution IPS LCD, which doesn’t come close to the deep blacks and contrast-rich visuals found on the Super AMOLED screen on the Q10.
Both are the same resolution however, and the same size, so the sharpness and space you have to play with is identical. Viewing the Q5 straight on also results in colour vibrancy nearly as good as the Q10, to be fair.
3. Processor: There isn’t a huge difference in the performance stakes between the two phones. The Q5 is slightly less powerful than its bigger brother, at 1.2 GHz compared to the 1.5 GHz of the Q10.
Both are dual-core though, and the efficiency of BlackBerry 10 really means that a difference in speed is difficult to notice. You also have 2GB of RAM to play within both phones, so multi-tasking is decent enough.
4. Battery: The Q5 has a non-removable 2100mAh battery.
5. Design: The build quality of the Q5 doesn’t match up with the premium feel of the Q10. Having spent only a brief time with the phone, we can’t say for absolute sure, but the keyboard doesn’t appear to perform as well. There is some flex and wobble in the Q5 keyboard that isn’t there in the Q10.
The Q5 also loses some connectivity, in that it lacks a micro HDMI port. You do save on weight however, with BlackBerry’s value for money proposition tipping the scales at 120g to the Q10’s 139g.
Size differences are pretty negligable, but if you want specifics, the Q5 is 120 x 66 x 10.8 mm and the Q10 119.6 x 66.8 x 10.4 mm. There really isn’t enough there to notice a difference.
6. Memory: With the Q5 you have 8GB of memory to play with and microSD support for up to 32GB of storage.