Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing from security video, a law enforcement source said on Wednesday, but no arrest had yet been made.
Earlier, CNN reported a suspect was in custody, citing Boston and law enforcement sources, but later retracted its report.
Three Reuters sources also disputed there had been an arrest. Officials later confirmed the arrest report was inaccurate.
“Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the marathon attack,” Boston police said in a statement.
The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) issued a statement asking the media to “exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.”
The identification of a possible suspect marked the most significant, publicly-disclosed break since Monday’s blasts at the Boston Marathon’s finish line killed three people and injured 176 others in the worst attack on U.S. soil since September 11, 2001.
The bombs killed an 8-year old boy, Martin Richard, a 29-year-old woman, Krystle Campbell and a Boston University graduate student who was a Chinese citizen. Boston University has identified the student as Lu Lingzi.