share on:

Jay’s Search– a music talent search devoted and dedicated to the memory of late Jaiye Aboderin (1971-2004) is back for the second season!

Foremost celebrity couple T.W.O, alongside other close family members and friends which make up the planning committee, told journalists at a press conference this week that Jay’s Search ‘11 will be bigger and better; we have decided to make it easy for interested contestants all over the country by introducing the online and live auditions”

The Jay’s Search planning committee, which includes Mrs. Angela Emuwa, Mr. Tunde Obe, Mrs. Wunmi Obe, Mr. Segun Giwa, Mr. Wole Adenmosun, Mr. Kunle Komolafe, Mr. Wole Aboderin, Mr. Foluso Olateju-Leigh and Mr. Tony Anifite, has revealed that from the online submission, a total of 20 contestants will be shortlisted for the live auditions, after which six (6) will be selected for the finals in December 2011.

For a prize of N250, 000 cash, a Kopykats recording deal for one single, one music video, a makeover/photo shoot, Airplay, promotions and publicity – six acts will slug it out during an evening of dinner. The second prize is N100, 000 cash, the 3rd prize is N75, 000. N50, 000 will be given as consolation prize for the remaining 3 finalists.

Throughout the competition the audience will be asked to vote for the contestant of their choice and liking. Their votes however will make up for 40 percent of the overall scores. The remaining 60 percent will be determined by 3 judges who have an in depth understanding of contemporary music and its trends but most importantly will be individuals of reputable standing in today’s entertainment industry.

“Jaiye was always willing to help and nurture people. He was able to recognize talent when he saw one, what better way to celebrate him than to carry on what he started?”  Wunmi Obe, immediate older sibling to the late Entertainer and Showbiz Consultant, says.

This is not the first time the siblings have honored the late Jaiye Aboderin by rewarding budding talents. In 2006 and 2007, the family partnered Hip Hop World Awards in compensating musicians Asa and OD. For winning the Jaiye Aboderin Next Rated category, the two acts each got a cash prize of 100,000 Naira, alongside the award.

On December 3rd 2009, 23 year old English undergraduate, OluwaSunbo Olundegun (BigMa) emerged winner of the first edition of Jay Search. Big Ma went home with a cash prize of N150,000, a record deal with T.W.O’s Kopykats Entertainment which includes, an opportunity to release one audio single, a music video, do a photo shoot and be properly packaged in readiness for the industry, all courtesy of Jay Search.

Other contenders at Jay’s search 2009 included Holy Gees, NB Squad, DPriye, Samuel Kettle and Snatch Moore.

Jaiye Aboderin died on December 3, 2004, aged 33. He slumped and died during a friendly game of basketball with close friends. While alive Jaiye touched the lives of many in the entertainment industry, including singers, comedians, actors and actresses. In tribute to him Freestyle, Mode9, Rugged man with Tunde and Wunmi Obe, put together a song titled “Tribute to Jay” in 2007. He left behind a wife- Actress Stella Damasus and two daughters, Isabel and Angelica.



The 6 o"clock man.

1 comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.