David Villa scored twice as Barcelona destroyed Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid 5-0 Monday night to move into first place in the Spanish league with its fifth straight win in the “El Clasico” matchup. Goals by Xavi Hernandez in the 10th minute and Pedro Rodriguez in the 18th minute put Barcelona ahead 2-0, before Villa doubled the lead in the 54th and 57th minutes off passes from Lionel Messi. Jeffren got the final goal in the 90th minute in front of over 98,000 fans at the Nou Camp Stadium.
Highlights of the game:
- Real Madrid’s forward Higuan failed a late fitness test and could not play. Many Real fans believe his deadly combination with Ronaldo could have made the difference.
- Jose Mourinho suffered the worst defeat in his coaching career. (He still remains the special one, we know Barcelona is not from this planet).
- Neither Messi nor Ronaldo scored in the meeting of the current and 2008 FIFA player of the year.
- Both benches went nuts in the 31st minute after Ronaldo shoved Pep Guardiola when the Barcelona coach didn’t hand the ball over for a throw-in. Don’t you just love CR7. This move agitated almost all the Barcelona players including Iniesta and Messi.
- Don’t you just love women? I missed a large chunk of the second half because wifey wanted suya from Glover Court; during a whole “El Clasico”. Chei!!! Well Love conquers all, including football.
- Sergio Ramos was sent off after a challenge on Messi and for shoving fellow Spaniard Puyol to the floor a few seconds later (o boy forget the national brotherhood, the 5-0 defeat dey pain am). In all a total of 12 yellow cards and 1 red card was shown in the highly tensed game.
Coaches Reactions to the game:
Jose Mourinho: “You have to have character, when you lose by five goals, you can’t leave crying, you have to go and work harder. I spoke with my players a few minutes ago and I told them the season had not ended today. Last year, I left here in a loss and a couple of months later left here heading to the finals of the Champions league, who knows what can happen this year.”
Pep Guardiola: “That stupid guy dey call: “the special one”. Hisss, him think say him fit come Spain come shine and win everything. The baga neva holla, does he know who Messi is? U no see as him resemble Seapork. Him no know me… him no go win nada for this Spain until he run comot. By the way, did you guys see my skinny pants and sweater from Topman. I dey dress abeg.”
Facts about the El Clasico:
- The El Clasico rivalry came about as Madrid and Barcelona are the two largest cities in Spain and the clubs are the most successfully clubs in the country.
- The first contest was on 17th February 1902.
- Real Madrid has the most wins with 85 wins.
- The largest victory in an El Clasico went 11-1 in favour of Real Madrid. This was in 1943.
- Alfredo di Stefano from Argentina is the all-time top scorer in El Clasico history with 18 goals.
- Notable players who have played for both teams include, Gheorge Hagi, Michael Laudrup, Luis Enrique, Luis Figo, Ronaldo, Samuel Eto’o and Javier Saviola.
Congrats to all Barca fans, see you next time at the Bernabeau.