In an event in Victoria Island a few weeks back, Tecnomobile Telecoms launched a new high end smartphone into the Nigerian market. The phone – Tecno Phantom A (F7) was co-launched with Etisalat Nigeria.
Building on the success of the popular TECNO N3, N7, Q1 and P3, the Phantom A (F7) is a dual SIM Smartphone which has a 5 inch HD touch screen, runs on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS with a dual core processor.
Tecno Mobile has been in the news of late. They’ve been creating low end Android phones that have become very popular with the masses. Today, you can buy Tecno N3, P3, D4 and other Tecno Smart phones for the same cost as popular feature phones in the market. These Android phones from Tecno have made it possible for more Nigerians to migrate from feature phones to smartphones.
Despite the fact that some have not stopped calling Tecno phones “Chinko” phones — Phones that are usually called made in China–the phones are selling in droves.
The rapid acceptance and success of the low end Android phone has caused Tecnomobile to come out with a high end Android powered Tecno smartphone – the Tecno Phantom A (F7). I was there a few weeks back when the phone was launched.
Announced May 2013 and released June 2013, the Tecno Phantom A (F7) was co-launched with Etisalat but can be bought in the open market for N34,500. It is a 5″ phone that spots some high end specs.
- Slim & elegant rectangular design with slightly rounded corners
- 5.0 inch IPS touchscreen with haptic feedback and a thin bezel (The haptic feedback is absent in all the previous Tecno low end Android phones)
- Dual SIM functionality with dual stand-by (both SIMs can be used simultaneously for calls)
- 8MP autofocus camera with LED flash, digital zoom, white balance, scene selection & HD video recording
- 1.2MP webcam optimized for self-portrait photos & video calls (Skype, WeChat, Viber & Tango compatible)
- GPRS/EDGE/3G or Wi-Fi internet connectivity (with mobile hotspot)
- Up to 21Mbps download speeds on 3G networks
- Desktop-like web experience via the preloaded WebKit browser (Chrome & Firefox supported via download)
- Even faster and cheaper browsing through the preinstalled Opera Mini browser
- Built-in GPS with Google Maps offering turn by turn navigation
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel & PowerPoint document viewer (editing supported via premium upgrade)
- Downloadable Adobe PDF & kindle ebook reader
- Android Jelly 4.1 Bean operating system
- Unrestricted access to over 500,000 apps in the Android market
- Essential Google apps; Maps, Search, Calendar, Gmail, YouTube, Picasa, Talk & Google+
- Dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor
- 1GB RAM
- PowerVR graphics processor (provides an overall improvement in menu transition, browsing speeds & HD media playback)
- A decent performer with graphics intensive apps & mild gaming (compatible with Asphalt 6, Subway Surfers, Temple Run, Resident Evil, GTA Vice City among others)
- 4GB internal memory (upgradeable to 32GB via microSD cards, free 8GB card provided in the box)
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Bluetooth v3.0 with Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
- Tecno flash share which allows users to share files of any size faster through wirelessly connected devices (This is a proprietary software from Tecno)
- Stereo FM radio & music player
- HD video player supporting media up to 720p
- Device available in black and white colors
- 12 + 1 months warranty from Tecno
There’s also the pure Android OS it operates off that wasn’t skinned like the ones on Samsung, HTC, LG, ZTE and Huawei.
I have seen a few tweets from some people that shows that more and more people are going out to buy this phone and they are very excited about the phone. I am looking forward to receive a review unit in order to tear the phone down and do a full review, here on 360nobs.com.
Despite the fact that some people still think that the Tecno phone is a Chinese Samsung Knock off, that has not stopped the troops that are going out there to buy the phone.
Tecno has also positioned itself with offering warranties and customer service centres where you can have your phone fixed in case there’s a problem. Tecno is fast following in the footsteps of Nokia and Samsung. I have had experience using the after sales and customer service of Nokia and Samsung in Nigeria. This is one of the reason why I prefer buying from these two companies. Tecno Knows that Nigerians like warranty and want the dependability that brands like Nokia and Samsung has been offering. This is the reason behind the customer service centres that they have.
“It was our objectives to enable Africans acquire Smartphones and enjoy a smart life with the TECNO Phones and we are doing this in style beginning with Nigeria. Now, with the Phantom A, we are offering a more superior Smartphone with high-end performance and a better user experience,” Mr Mounir, The Public Relations Manager TECNO Global, said during the event.
According to Mr. Lucas Dada, Director of Products and Services, Etisalat Nigeria, “There is a version of the Tecno Phantom A that is made available through Etisalat Nigeria. It comes with a 12 months free data bundle powered by etisalat’s most advanced 3.75G, HSPA+ network with speed up to 42 mbps.”
Tecno is rising and rising. It is time for Samsung to watch its back as Tecno means business in Africa and particularly the Nigerian market. Samsung already provides 24 months warranty for most of its phones. I am currently enjoying the 24 month Accidental Damage from Handling that is attached to the Samsung GALAXY S4. Cracked my S4 screen once and sent it in for free.
Information reaching me has it that Tecno is already preparing to upgrade the Phantom A with the Phantom A+ that has Quad-Core 1.2GHz. And the Android OS has also been upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2. The speed with which Tecno is moving amazes me. Their process and execution is second to none. These are the only two differences between the Phantom A and the Phantom A+.
Jesse – has written 23 posts on this site.
In pursuit of useless knowledge, spotting patterns & connecting the dots at the intersection. | Gadget Freak