Planning for a wedding is pretty exciting. There’s the menu, seating arrangement, invitations, and, every woman’s favorite, the dress. Well, of course, there are the bridesmaids’ dresses as well, but not a lot of brides are really giving that a lot of thought apparently.
Almost every woman dreams about finding the most beautiful dress ever imagined or created on her wedding day, and she will go to whatever length she needs to just to get it. There’s nothing wrong with this. It’s your wedding day, and you should look amazing. My question is: Shouldn’t you look amazing underneath your dress as well?
A lot of women never really put a lot of thought into what they will wear underneath that perfect dress when, in reality, it should take top priority. Well, after the dress. But shopping for the perfect underwear for your wedding day can be a lot of fun as well.
Think of it this way: Your wedding day is traditionally the first time your spouse gets to see you with no clothes on. A lot may have changed, and most spouses are quite familiar with each other’s anatomy months before the wedding night, but that doesn’t mean you can’t switch things up a little.
Your wedding day underwear can be whatever you want it to be – revealing, functional, supportive, or extremely sexy – but, most importantly, it should be comfortable.
Choosing your bridal bra will depend on the back and neckline of the dress you choose, so here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Strapless dresses are pretty popular now, and a number of them either have a straight or sweetheart neckline. Strapless bras are a great choice for a lot of wedding dress because of their plunging necklines. With a strapless bra, you get extra support and bare-shouldered appeal so you can have maximum fun and don’t have to keep worrying about runaway straps on your wedding day.
- Then there are the corset-style/backless dresses. Some women feel these dresses offer enough support and go braless. At special requests, some bridal shops will sew an integrated, made-to-measure bra into your dress for you.
- If you choose a bra with straps and need extra support, then a bra with straps that can be hidden under the dress but still offers a plunging balconette is what you want to look out for.
- If your dress choice is backless and you want some frontal support, then adhesive cups are the way to go. However, optimum results are only achieved with A – D cups.
Another deciding factor in your undergarment decision will be the bodice of your dress. A number of dresses come with a corset-style, lace-up back and help to smooth out certain trouble areas. Looser dresses may be a bit more forgiving, but it’s always a good idea to consider shape wear so your dress falls over your figure. While there are various styles that support different areas of the body, you should opt for one that you’ll be comfortable wearing all day.
A corset is another option you should consider for undergarment to help with shaping. Corsets with real boning lace up at the back and would look amazing under a backless dress. They usually come in a variety of colors and necklines, and provide extra shaping to create an hourglass figure. And, if you match yours with a lacy garter belt and stockings, corsets take that bedroom reveal a notch (or more) higher.
Where panties are concerned, the skirt of your dress is the factor to take into consideration.
- A tight skirt requires more subtle undergarment like a thong or lace panties. No one wants underwear lines distracting people on her big day.
- If your dress has a full skirt, you can get away with pretty much anything underneath. Bright colors, ruffles, lace. And even that garter we talked about earlier
Like I said, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have fun with your wedding day underwear. Don’t think about who’s not going to see it during the day, think about who will when everyone’s gone and you’re both alone.
For those of our readers who are already married, please don’t forget to share experiences or advise on what the best underwear is to wear under your wedding dress.